How to Make Homemade White Gravy
White gravy is an amazing comfort meal, basically served with homemade chicken-fried steak, biscuits, and other foods. White gravy is made of broth, milk, and flour. But there are different ways that you can personalize the gravy to create your desired tastes. If you want to know how to make white gravy, here’s what to do:
- 1 cup broth
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- Start by heating 1 cup of stock (broth) over medium heat on a pot. You can use any broth, whether vegetables, chicken; all are great. It only depends on your personal preferences what you’ll use to pair it with.
- This recipe requires only four servings, so you don’t have to use a large-sized pot. But you can triple it if you have a large family set up. The more gravy needed, the larger the pot you’ll use.
- Next, add 2 tbsps. Each of flour and butter in a small bowl then cream together to ensure the butter is soft and should not melt or else it will be hard to cream it. It will just change into a smooth paste.
- When the butter is chunking up, allow it to sit for a while. Perhaps it’s cold. Then move the broth to low for 10 minutes and resume later normally.
- Mix the butter-flour paste with the stock, then whisk thoroughly. The mixture will begin like the flour and butter –quite chunky and boring to see, but after a while, the paste infuses and thickens on the broth
- Continue whisking up to the end of the recipe. Doing this allows air to flow and makes the gravy thick more quickly.
- Then lower the heat to low and relax for a while as it thickens. When the food is too hot, it begins to boil. But that’s not what you are up to since it will thin it and make it foamy. Continue whisking lightly as you keep an eye on how the gravy is getting thick. This can take up to 10 minutes. So you have to be patient.
- Immediately you realize that the gravy is thick enough, perform a spoon test. Insert a spoon inside, then scoop it out.
- Lastly, season the gravy to add taste. A quick gravy that lacks cream or pan drippings is nice when topped up with a little pepper and salt and any other spice that you love. Please give it a taste occasionally to ensure that you don’t over-season it.
How to Make Homemade White Gravy with Bacon Grease
- Bacon grease
- Milk (2 cups)
- Pepper and salt
- 2 tbsp. flour
- Bacon slices
- Start by preheating a large-sized skillet to medium heat, then place six bacon slices inside and cook until it gets crispy.
- After that, take out the bacon from the skillet, then allow it to drain. Get rid of all but 2 tbsp. of the bacon grease.
- Pour the flour into the grease, then mix the two and cook for about 1 minute. Please make sure the flour isn’t burning.
- Add milk, then stir together.
- Cook until bubbles begin appearing. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- During this time, crumble the bacon. Then add bacon, pepper, and salt to (add taste) to the gravy, then give it some minutes to simmer to your desired consistency.
- Finally, serve with biscuits.
How to Make Homemade White Gravy for Chicken Fried Steak
- 4-ounce cube steak
- Divided teaspoons ground pepper
- Divided teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup lard
- Two lightly beaten eggs
- 1 cup of milk
Start by seasoning the meat together with ¼ teaspoon of pepper and ¼ teaspoon salt, then place aside. In another separate small dish, mix one teaspoon of pepper with flour. Then the steaks in the flour. Again, add the crushed egg and pour it into the flour.
After seasoning, place the lard on a heavy skillet, then heat over medium-high heat. Next, start frying the steaks for 4 minutes until they turn golden brown on each side. Drain them using paper towels.
Now pour 2 tbsp. of fat and then add two spoons of the flour in oil. Allow it heat for 2 minutes over medium heat as you scrape off all the browned bits on the skillet. Slowly whisk milk inside. As it cooks, please make sure you frequently stir until it gets bubbly and thickened. Add pepper and salt. Your gravy should be peppery.