How to become a merit badge counselor
- 1 How do you become a merit badge counselor?
- 2 Can anyone be a merit badge counselor?
- 3 Is merit badge counselor training required?
- 4 Can a parent be a merit badge counselor?
- 5 How many merit badges can you be a counselor for?
- 6 How many merit badges can you work on at once?
- 7 What is the hardest merit badge to earn?
- 8 What is the rarest merit badge?
- 9 What is the easiest merit badge?
- 10 Has anyone earned all merit badges?
- 11 What is the newest merit badge?
- 12 Is there a merit badge for building a computer?
- 13 Is there a knot tying merit badge?
- 14 How many merit badges are there in 2020?
- 15 Can a scoutmaster be a merit badge counselor?
- 16 Can a merit badge counselor change requirements?
- 17 How long do you have to complete a merit badge?
- 18 Can a scoutmaster refuse to sign a blue card?
- 19 Can the Eagle Scout rank be revoked?
- 20 Can a boy scout fail a board of review?
How do you become a merit badge counselor?
What Else Do I Need To Do To Become A Merit Badge Counselor?
- If you haven’t already, register as an adult member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Log in to my.scouting.org.
- Take Youth Protection Training and print your Certificate of Completion.
- Print and fill out a Merit Badge Counselor Information sheet.
Can anyone be a merit badge counselor?
They must be men and women of good character, age 18 or older, and recognized as having the skills and knowledge of the Merit Badge subject matter, as well as, the ability to work with youth of Boy Scout age.
Is merit badge counselor training required?
Specific training is required for some BSA activities, including merit badges. Even if already registered, every counselor must submit a BSA adult application for the position of merit badge counselor (code 42). There are no exceptions. Merit badge counselors who are re-registering need not complete a new application.
Can a parent be a merit badge counselor?
There is no prohibition on parents being a Merit Badge Counselor for their own child in the Guide to Advancement or any other BSA document. As long as the parent is a registered and approved merit badge counselor for the merit badge in question, the Scout has the option to choose to work with his or her parent.
How many merit badges can you be a counselor for?
A Merit Badge Counselor may only counsel 5 merit badges.
How many merit badges can you work on at once?
There is no limit to how many merit badges you can earn, although the Eagle rank requires you to earn 21 merit badges, including twelve required badges in areas like outdoor skills and citizenship.
What is the hardest merit badge to earn?
Often considered the most difficult citizenship merit badge to complete, Citizenship in the Community mainly requires scouts to complete projects, volunteer in their community, and understand various knowledge requirements.
What is the rarest merit badge?
Let’s take a deep dive into the complete list — from 2019’s most popular merit badge to its rarest.
The actual top 10.
|Rank||Merit Badge||2019 earned|
|4||Citizenship in the World||50,700|
Feb 17, 2020
What is the easiest merit badge?
The easiest merit badges are those that you’re already working on in your everyday life. For instance, if you already have a dog, the pets merit badge would be a no-brainer. The 3 simplest merit badges that any scout can earn are Art, Fingerprinting and Photography.
Has anyone earned all merit badges?
Sam S., an Eagle Scout from Troop 357 out of Tonganoxie, joins the ranks of a rare group of Scouts who have completed every single merit badge available to them. 137 merit badges, total, in Sam’s case. Sam earned his Eagle Scout in September 2016. At the time he had completed 30 merit badges.
What is the newest merit badge?
– Boy Scouts of America is launching a new merit badge known as the “diversity and inclusion” badge and it’s in direct support of Black Lives Matter. The badge will take components from their “citizenship in the community” and “American cultures” merit badges.
Is there a merit badge for building a computer?
Requirements for the Computers merit badge: Discuss with your counselor the tips for online safety. Give a short history of the computer. Describe three ways you and your family could use a personal computer other than for games and entertainment.
Is there a knot tying merit badge?
Knot Tying Merit Badge. You have injured yourself tying a bowline. If you have earned this merit badge you should NOT qualify for the normal Pioneering Merit Badge from the Boy Scouts.
How many merit badges are there in 2020?
Every year the National Council reviews and updates a certain number of merit badges. There are over 100 merit badges (137 as of April 2020).
Can a scoutmaster be a merit badge counselor?
There are no exceptions. For example, Scoutmasters must register as merit badge counselors and be approved for any badge they wish to counsel or sign off in their troop. It is acceptable for a counselor registered in one council to approve merit badges for Scouts in another.
Can a merit badge counselor change requirements?
Every Scout must have another person with them at each meeting with a merit badge counselor. This person can be their parent or legal guardian or another registered adult. There is no one-on-one contact allowed with Scouts and counselors. Counselors may not add to or delete any merit badge requirements.
How long do you have to complete a merit badge?
There is no time limit for starting and completing a merit badge, but all work must be completed by the time a Scout turns 18.
Can a scoutmaster refuse to sign a blue card?
As scoutmasters/parents we obviously should encourage completion, but with scout busy schedules it may not always be possible. If you refuse to sign a blue card so that a scout can earn merit badge b until he finishes merit badge a, you have added a requirement. Speaking plainly, It depends on the scout.
Can the Eagle Scout rank be revoked?
Absolutely not. Once earned, an award – whether a merit badge, or a rank, or anything else – is earned. There’s absolutely no procedure in Scouts to revoke any rank or other award for any reason at all.
Can a boy scout fail a board of review?
It is thus more about the learning experience than it is about the specific skills learned. See also “Mechanics of Advancement in Scouts BSA,” 4.2. 0.0. A Scout must not be rejected at a board of review for reasons unrelated to advancement requirements.